Our group's past projects are outlined below. If you're interested in joining our efforts, send an email to email@example.com.
The Big Picture
The Earth is faced with a looming crisis: unpredictable climate change. The causes are many, but perhaps the most important is the rising volume of carbon dioxide (CO2) pumped into the atmosphere from human activity. CO2 is a "greenhouse gas," so-called because it traps heat and results in global warming. What accounts for the alarming increase in CO2? Scientists blame our reliance on fossil fuels (coal and oil). And in New England, more than 90% of the energy we use in our homes comes from burning fossil fuels and other nonrenewable energy sources.
Where to get Compact Fluorescent Lights (CFLs)
CFLs are available at hardware, drug, grocery, and home improvement stores. In Andover and North Andover, Rocky's Ace Hardware, CVS, and grocery stores carry these energy efficient bulbs. CFLs are also available at Home Depot (which has the widest selection for the most fixtures) and Wal-Mart. Many shapes and styles are available - flood lights, dimmable fixtures, 3-way fixtures, recessed lights and candelabras. EnergyStar bulbs are reliable + and they last for 3 to 5 years! REMINDER - CFLs contain a small amount of mercury, so please dispose with household hazardous waste or take to Rocky's Ace Hardware for disposal.
What Else You Can Do
In addition to changing to CFLs, consider taking the following actions:
- Inflate Your Tires - Keep tires on your car adequately inflated. Save 250 lbs. of CO2/year.
- Fill the Dishwasher - Run your dishwasher only with a full load. Save 100 lbs. of CO2/year.
- Adjust Your Thermostat - Down 2° in winter, up 2° in summer. Save 2000 lbs. of CO2/year.
- Check and Insulate Your Water Heater - Set water heater thermostat no higher than 120° F. Save 550 lbs of CO2/year. Insulate it and save another 1,000 lbs. of CO2/year.
- Install Low-Flow Showerheads - Less water = less energy to heat the water. Save 350 lbs. of CO2/year.
- Weatherize Your Home - Caulk/weatherstrip doors and windows. Save 1,700 lbs. of CO2/year.
- Buy Minimally Packaged Goods - Reduce your garbage by 10%. Save 1,200 lbs. of CO2/year.
- Wash Clothes in Cold Water - Hot water uses more energy. Save 300 - 500 lbs. of CO2/year.
- Carpool - Save at least 790 lbs. of CO2/ year.
- Unplug Electronics - Even when off, electric devices use energy. Save 1,000 lbs. of CO2/ year.
- Plant a Tree - Trees absorb CO2. Save 2,000 lbs. of CO2/ year.
For More Information