Making Democracy Work

Elections and Voting

How to register to vote ... When are the elections? ... and more

Andover Local Elections

North Andover Local Elections

National and State Elections

Voter Information

Register to Vote

Contact your Town Clerk's office to:
  • register to vote
  • change your party affiliation
  • change your address
  • change your name
  • find out where to vote

Andover residents
Town Clerk
36 Bartlet St.
Andover, MA 01810
North Andover residents
Town Clerk
120 Main St.
North Andover, MA 01845

Registration Details

For a resident to be eligible to vote, that resident must be 18 years old and a United States citizen. Additionally, a resident must be registered to vote at least
  • 20 days before state and national elections
  • 20 days before town elections to vote in town elections or the annual town meeting
  • 10 days before a special town meeting

Registration is conducted at the Town Clerk's office in the Town Offices during normal business hours--8:30-4:30, Monday through Friday. The last day to register is 20 days prior to the election, and on that day the Town Clerk's office is open until 8:00 p.m.

Contact the Town Clerk's office in your respective town for specific voting dates, times, and locations. Registration may also be done by mail. Forms are available in the Town offices, libraries, and post offices. In Massachusetts registration is permanent if the person does not move from the community. However, your annual Town of Andover or North Andover census must be returned to remain on the active voter list.

Please note that the Help America Vote Act (HAVA) of 2002 requires that you provide your driver's license number or the last four digits of your social security number to register to vote. If you have neither, you must write "none" in the box on the Voter Registration Form and then you must provide a copy of your identification either with the mail-in Voter Registration Form or at your polling location when you vote for the first time. Sufficient identification includes a copy of a current and valid photo identification, current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or other government document showing your name and address.

When voting in a primary, presidential or state election, you must take the ballot of the party in which you are enrolled, Democrat, Republican, or other recognized voter party. If you are unenrolled, you may choose the Democratic, Republican, or other party ballot for that primary. After so choosing and voting in a primary election, you will automatically go back to your unenrolled status.